Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day of School

Monday was Carter's very first Day of School ever.
I can't believe he's already going to school, it went so fast. He couldn't be more excited. Me, on the other hand, have felt a little lonely without him. Liam's doing his best to distract me though. The night before school, we laid out his clothes and I asked him what he wanted in his lunch box. He didn't hesitate at all before telling me that he wanted a sandwich, a boiled egg, a salad, a brownie, a bag of cheetos, juice and his water bottle. Carter is not a big eater so, I was a little taken aback. But he insisted and I thought, heck, he's only going to eat lunch in a cafeteria for the first time once in his life, why not make it big. So, here it is...


The crazy thing is, that his lunchbox came home practically empty. I guess all that excitement made him hungry.


He seems to have made the adjustment to school very smoothly. I was a little worried because he's a little shy and has never been away from home this much before. Furthermore, we've enrolled him in a dual language program, meaning that for half the day, he attends a class where only spanish is spoken. This could be pretty indimitating, but so far, he's enjoyed the challenge. Yesterday afternoon he couldn't stop talking about everything he's learned, the friends he made, and of course he slipped in nonchalantly that he got his color moved from green to blue, meaning, he got in trouble. Wait, back up, I said, what happened. His story was pretty confusing and I'm still not sure what went down, although I can imagine a hundred possibilities since, you know, he's my child. Hopefully this means that he's feeling comfortable enough to be himself and we won't have to many repeat offenses. Chad got sent to the principles office the first day of kindergarten for throwing crayons, so I guess it runs in the family.

6 comments:

katharine said...

wow! what a lunch! you are a supermom. glad he enjoyed his first day :)

Jen said...

I love the picture of his lunch!

-Laura- said...

Cute! Glad he's adjusting well. :) It is a little lonely, huh?!?! I can't get over how quiet it is around our house!

Carter's lunch request is hilarious. What a good eater! Salad?!?!

That's so cool that they have the dual language program. I know a few districts that do that...McKinney not being one of them. I totally would have put Janelle in it too!

elise said...

i can't believe carter's so old already! what a big guy!

Garry S said...

WHATS THIS ABOUT CHAD THROWING CRAYONS, GOOD THING WE DIDNT KNOW
ABOUT IT. HE WOULD HAVE BEEN IN BIG TROUBLE, HA HA

SOUNDS LIKE CARTER HAD A GREAT DAY
& LUNCH

Mrs. Pyne said...

Glad Carter is having so much fun in school- we hope lexi does too next year. um- can you come make my lunch for me- yum!