Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Pergatory

As a kid, winter weather made me giddy. I grew up in Texas, so it was a rare and magical treat for me. But now as a mom, the winter months have taken on a whole new meaning. Cold and Flu season. Our entire family has had one humdinger of a virus over the past few weeks. The kind that lingers on and on and on. In fact, I still have it. Last week, I took part in four visits to the Doctor. Chad had one of his own, but fortunately I don't have to sign as a parent/guardian for him. Going to the Dr. with three small boys is no small feat. Because, among other things, they have six feet. And don't be fooled by their size. I still have a bump on my head from Easton last week. The shocker is when someone tells me how good my boys are. SERIOUSLY?!? Because I feel every skirmish and jab and bored sigh deep inside. Those people must have had three small boys of their own and are saints or something. I want to give those kind individuals big hugs because I feel like the rest of the world is about to call CPS when they see us in the waiting room.
One of our lovely Dr. visits last week involved getting part of Carter's toenail removed (he has those dang curly toenails). WORST experience ever! I think my own surprise C-section last spring was less stressful to me. The fact that the podiatrist obviously did not have three small boys of his own did not make it easier when All of them were screaming as if their own toenails were being removed. Easton even made a dramatic exit of his car seat right onto his head which I could do nothing about because I was the only thing holding Carter down.
But, hope is in the air. It was 75 degrees today and last time I checked, viruses don't thrive in that kind of weather. And, we were all well enough to venture out on our Monday Holiday this week. Even Carter's toe was up to the adventure. So, we visited a local site that has it's own sort of Purgatory. Natural Bridge Caverns. It was well worth the journey. I'll share a few pictures with you but they really don't do the caves justice at all.
Here's where we entered

Here's me packing in Easton. My new craigslist Elliptical must be paying off because I didn't get short of breath - chunky baby, cold and all. It was pretty steep and lots of stairs but nothing a super mom couldn't handle!

Here's a couple of pictures of some of the formations. These really are pretty bad pictures. Keep in mind that the lights were super dim and some of the columns were 50 feet tall.

It was spectacular and my kids LOVED it. I discovered that there are several more caverns worth visiting within an hour of our new home. Maybe we'll have to turn into a family of spelunkers.

3 comments:

Seable Family said...

Emily- I haven't realized that you guys moved. Your house is looking great. I am sorry you guys have been sick. I am not a fan of this time of year. Everyone gets sick and it is too cold outside. I hope everyone in your house is feeling better. Hang in there!

Mrs. Pyne said...

awesome caves! I'll start prepping my kids for the caves when we come! How much were these caves?- they looked really cool!

Langdon and Raquel said...

Is it terrible that I was cracking up over your terrible doctor's visit? If it is, then forgive me, and please write more. I love your take on mommyhood. And I'm so happy that you and your family are having so many fun adventures in your new Texas home. I can't believe you think your house was messy in those photos (!). And your boys, as always, are ADORABLE.